Important changes to our Watch Around Water policy
Friday 07 December 2018
Following a review of our pool safety policies and procedures, we are implementing changes to our Watch Around Water policy. These changes ensure we are exceeding industry best practice and leading the way with water safety.
What is Watch Around Water?
Watch Around Water supports parents and guardians to keep children safe in and around the water. It was developed by Aquatics & Recreation Victoria, Life Saving Victoria and the Play it Safe by the Water campaign. Watch Around Water ensures every child is adequately supervised while visiting public aquatic facilities.
The Watch Around Water policy applies to all our pools.
Why do we need a Watch Around Water policy?
Drowning is silent and quick. Children fatigue quickly in water and have underdeveloped awareness of risk and self-management. Parents/guardians are better positioned than Lifeguards to be aware of their child's swimming ability and their physical and mental fatigue levels.
Our Lifeguards may be supervising up to 100 people in the water. We rely on cooperation and assistance from parents/guardians in keeping their children safe in and around the water by following this policy at all times.
Changes to our Watch Around Water policy
- Children under 5 must wear a pink wristband to indicate their age. Their parent/guardian must also wear a wristband(s) to indicate the children they are supervising.
- Children under 10 must wear a yellow wristband to indicate their age. Their parent/guardian must also wear a wristband(s) to indicate the children they are supervising.
- Parents/guardians must wear corresponding wristbands to indicate each child they are supervising. I.e. If a parent is supervising one child under 5 and one child under 10, they must wear one pink wristband and one yellow wristband.
- Children under 10 must be within arm’s reach when swimming in our main pools (water 1m or deeper).
- Parents/guardians must not supervise more than 4 children under the age of 10 and no more than 2 children under the age of 5.
- Parents will exchange a Watch Around Water information card with Swim Instructors at the commencement of the lesson and hand the card back at the conclusion of each lesson to indicate formal handover of responsibility for their child or children.
To view the full Watch Around Water policy please visit Swim Safety.
When will these changes take effect?
The changes will take effect from 1 January 2019. Over the coming weeks our staff will familiarise all patrons with the new policy.
Got a question?
For further information please speak to us at reception, call us on 9205 5032 or email email@example.com.